I know I am breaking my word on the very first post... sorry! It's just that I have no real memories or attachments to Oklahoma State or their football team. In fact, I haven't even been to OK since we moved when I was in diapers. SO in honor of the 1st game of the season. I thought I would write about my 1st UGA game... August 31, 2002... UGA vs. Clemson, kickoff 7:45pm.
I did not grow up in a family that made a weekly journey to see their favorite college team play. I suspect this is mostly because I come from a mixed family... see my previous post. Anyhow, this was going to be my big introduction to UGA football... and it was a night game.
I remember waking up that Saturday morning and even before I left for practice the grassy areas around our dorm were covered with tailgaters. I went to practice and when I came back more tailgaters! They were so loud and excited... and the game was HOURS away... I could tell it was going to be a crazy night!
Getting ready for the DawgWalk.
That first DawgWalk was something really special. We were the barrier between the masses and the team. For the first time in my life it was "cool" to be in the band, this was totally different from my experience in high school. We got the up-close view of the action, as we formed the marching block and started the cheers and chant... "Hey lift your head up to the sky... ain't nothin' finer in the land than the Georgia Redcoat Marching Band!"
Walking into the stadium was surreal... looking around at all the empty bleachers... knowing that in a matter of minutes all those seats would be full. When I stepped on the field for pre-game it all came together. Sure, all the seats were filled... and 86,000 people were watching me... but they were 86,000 of my best friends, right?
We cheered... and cheered... and I think I screamed more than I ever have... BUT, we ended up winning that game 31-28... it was the start of a wonderful season for UGA... and as for football Saturdays, I was officially hooked!
*This was pre-digital camera for me... so they pics are not necessarily from the 1st game... but they are from my 1st season*
No comments:
Post a Comment