Last week Atlantans said "so long" to a local sports legend. A legend that I had the privilege of calling a friend. I grew up watching his sports reports on T.V.... and I will never forget the first time I really talked to him when he came to visit my station in Orlando.
(Yes, they had a life size cut-out to take pictures with)
Chuck Dowdle and his photographer came to Orlando for Braves spring training. The were feeding their video from our station... I was star struck! He stopped by my desk to say hello, because one of my coworkers told him I was from Atlanta. When he stopped to talk he noticed that I was following the UGA basketball game... we bonded instantly... he is a serious Dawg fan.
(Here we are looking at a picture I took with him when I was in Redcoats at the Sugar Bowl...so funny! I was so nervous to ask him back then.)
He is such a genuine guy... the real deal to everyone he meets. Every time I ran into him at the station we would talk UGA sports. He knew so much about everything! I could even talk to him about the Gymdogs. A testament to his friendliness... people from all different places attended his retirement luncheon.
(John Smoltz, Evander Holyfiend, and Tom Glavine at the lunch.)
Good Luck Chuck... we are going to miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment