Friday, December 11, 2009

Foodie Friday: Peanut Brittle



This is another of Mackie's recipes (my grandmother).  Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, she has made brittle for friends and neighbors.  Often, a large part of our time at her house was spent munching on this tasty treat.  It has a distinct smell when it's baking, (not a bad smell, it is sweet tasty smell) each time I make it, the smell takes me back to Mackie's house at Christmastime.

Peanut Brittle 
Ingredients:

-1 cup raw peanuts
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 white corn syrup
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 teaspoon butter
-1 teaspoon baking soda

Stir peanuts, sugar, syrup, and salt in a two quart mixing bowl.  Microwave on high for 3 minutes.  Stir.  Microwave on high for 3 more minutes.

Add vanilla and butter, blend well.  Microwave on high for 1 minute 15 seconds.

Add baking soda, gently stir until light and foamy (you will know when it is foamy... I promise... it's like magic)

Pour out on aluminum foil.  Cool.  Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

This is one batch of brittle... (an artistic batch at that)


This is a morning of making brittle...


*Helpful Hint... use a large glass measuring cup type bowl to make this... the handle is important because the bowl gets VERY VERY HOT!  Also use either a wooden spoon or a synthetic one that can withstand high temperatures... this is what I use...



Photobucket

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

This looks like something I might have to try and make - I love baking esp if it doesnt require an oven! Thanks for sharing! Happy Holidays!